Friday, October 31, 2008

Proposition 8

This blog, as many of you know, is for the most part a fairly lighthearted online journal where I chronicle the funny, annoying and fabulous things I come across in my life. That being said I would beg your indulgence this evening as I stray from the norm to discuss, in all solemnity, something that is very important to me.

For those of you who don't know I am a native Californian, so the recent political uproar concerning Proposition 8 has been of great personal interest to me. Now I am not really the soap box type but I wanted to take the opportunity to encourage people to take the time to research Prop 8 and find out exactly what Proposition 8 means to our world. Whether you are a California citizen or not this is an issue that will have widespread effect if it does not pass. So, even though many people, much smarter and more eloquent than myself, have already written and spoken about this at great length, I would like to take a moment to put my little say out there.

Proposition 8 is not just a "mean spirited" and petty ploy by the heterosexual community to keep the homosexual community down. For those who would argue that passing Prop 8 is unconstitutional I would like to say that the granting of rights that deny the rights of others is wrong and if Prop 8 does not pass the religious rights and rights to free speech of everyone will be infringed. I would also point out that for a community that continually states that it is asking for tolerance, many extremely intolerant acts have been committed against people that have opposing views.

Voting yes on Prop 8 does not deny homosexual couples the rights available to heterosexual couples; it merely seeks to preserve the sanctity of marriage by declaring that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California." It is not a hate crime against homosexual couples, it is simply an effort to keep a sacred institution just that: sacred. Now while there is much more I could say, and wish I could say well, I would just like to finish by inviting everyone to follow this link and watch the presentation, it is a very interesting and intelligent video discussing what Prop 8 really means. http://blip.tv/play/nhDU8RGJxDU

2 comments:

the lunch lady said...

well done. we were just in the OC and the protestors against 8 were out in droves. it was kind of frightening.

Elyse said...

Time to lighten this up a bit.


...RIPPED...MIDGET...